Buying or selling a home is one of the biggest financial actions that people take in their lives. It’s essential to retain a lawyer, and I strongly advise people to do so at the outset of a real estate transaction.
Through the law office of Andrew M. Cagen, Attorney at Law, I provide the following real estate services:
- Review or prepare purchase-and-sales agreement. This is the most important part of a real estate transaction. Among other things, the purchase-and-sales agreement says when you are going to close, what kind of deed is going to be conveyed, whether the sale is contingent on the buyer obtaining mortgage financing and what the condition of the property must be. It should be either prepared by an attorney or at least reviewed before it is signed.
- Review or prepare disclosure statement. Sellers of residential properties are required by law in Rhode Island to provide a buyer with a disclosure statement concerning the condition and known problems with a home.
- Examine the title. I will have a title examination performed to determine whether there are any mortgages or other liens on the property.
- Provide advice on such matters as whether to conduct a survey. Title examinations typically do not disclose matters related to encroachments or other survey issues. Typically, surveys are not performed in residential closings, but sometimes such issues do arise. My firm will provide advice and consultation on these and other matters that come up in the sales process.
- Conduct the closing. I will conduct the closing, make sure that all mortgages and other liens are paid off and ensure that each party understands the transaction and that the terms of the purchase and sales agreement are fulfilled.
- Arrange to provide title insurance. I will arrange to provide an owner’s title insurance policy, which will protect the owner against any defects in title on record, and a mortgagee’s title insurance policy, which will protect the lender.
With my more than 30 years of experience as a practicing Rhode Island attorney, I can help you with your real estate matter. To discuss your options in depth, contact me online, or call 401-400-3822 or 800-514-9346 toll free. I offer a free, initial consultation to each prospective client.